Friday, October 10, 2008

Susan's English Toffee

SPECIAL REQUEST!

I want to have as many people as possible try out this
recipe and TELL ME how their's turns out.
It's easy and delicious so print this recipe and when you
have a few spare cooking minutes,
PLEASE TRY THIS:


SUSAN’S ENGLISH TOFFEE

1 cup butter (Land O’ Lakes BAKING Butter during the Holidays)
1 cup sugar
3 tbs. water
1 pkg. milk chocolate chips (Ghirardelli, Belgian, Hershey’s, or anything I suppose!)
2 cups sliced almonds

(The trick is figuring out exactly how long to cook the mixture. I’ve cooked it too long and it hardens too fast but sometimes I don’t cook it long enough and it doesn’t set up as well. So just keep trying until it’s just right!)

-Use a heavy skillet. Melt butter and add sugar and water on medium high heat.

-Stir continuously with wooden spoon and when mixture just begins to turn to a lighter yellow/very light brown color, remove from heat and stir 1½ cups sliced almonds into the mixture.

-Spread evenly onto a cookie sheet.

-While still hot, sprinkle chocolate chips over mixture. As they melt, lightly smooth the chocolate over the mixture. Then sprinkle remaining ½ cup of sliced almonds on top.

- Refrigerate overnight and when toffee is hard break it into desired sized pieces.

5 comments:

The Nelson Family Smorgasbord said...

YUMMY, Erin!! I'm putting on the agenda for our Family Home Evening treat this Monday!

Anonymous said...

How domestic do you think i am :-)

Anonymous said...

I have used this recipe for years ( one of my first candy recpies when I was fourteen) it is wonderful. Like you said the trick is the cooking time, a good candy thermometer and cook to a soft crack stage. My home ec teacher said to cook it until the color of a paper bag. If you use the soft crack it is more chewing, but if you cook it until the brown paper bag look it is like almond rocca a hard candy. Congratulations on graduating. I am so proud of you!!! Brett and his wife Juliann had a baby girl 6 weeks ago and named her Mae.

Anonymous said...

I've made this recipe many times and it is always a favorite at our house.

Love ya,
Deanna

Anonymous said...

You're making me hungry and almost wishing the holidays were here!

Dana